Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Messy Mama

I see pictures of immaculate sewing rooms. Beautiful, color organized fabric walls... inspirational rooms that would motivate anyone to create. There's even a flickr group to share photos. Drool-worthy. Then there is my sewing room. Until about a month ago we called this the office. Then the desk got taken over by my projects and now it's officially the sewing room- and it's a disaster. Granted, it's the week before Christmas and Hanukkah, so I not only have loads of cape orders but also my own projects for family and friends... but to be honest, if you stopped by in the middle of June it just might look like this. My plan is for a few more shelves above the sewing table. And bins. And I would like to organize my fabric by color. And I should do something with those two bins of scraps that I don't know what do to with but just can't throw away. But for now, here it is. My sewing space. Soule Mama I aint.



8 comments:

katy said...

Oh my gosh - this is EXACTLY how my corner of the basement looked! EXACTLY. I am not a neat crafter or sewer. I always wondered about those beautiful studios - how does the creating or production go on there? They are fun to look at though. I took comfort when reading Bend the Rules Sewing that Amy, the famous Chicken, keeps her fabric stash in big plastic garbage bags. *That* I can relate too.

Good for you for posting your work space - and liberating the rest of us unsoulish mamas.

Happy Holidays to you!

Panjo Kids said...

That's so funny, Katy, I have Bend the Rules Sewing on my sewing table right now... in fact, you can probably see it peeking out somewhere in that picture. LOVE the book- love Angry Chicken, too.

The Eagars said...

I have to tell you, every sewing room or craft room I have seen is actually JUST LIKE THIS (mine is) People get them all cleaned up and organized and snap a few shots, but no one lives and creates like that!

Carrie said...

I thought I was the only one who had the "hang the invoices on the wall in front of my face" technique! You're so brave.

Kirsten said...

My craft room/office is in a similar state, except that I don't have room for all my fabric, so some is in there, some is in the crawl space, some is in the laundry room... Hubby is going to hang shelves for me in our storage room soon (I hope - they've been in progress for 2 weeks now!).

Kellie said...

Finally, something I can relate to. Thank you for making me feel normal!

Christi said...

I"m such a huge fan and now, if possible, even a bigger fan. I'm selling vintage on Etsy and panic every time I sell something because I, too, am relegated to a small area and have trays under yarn (for my other Etsy shop), books under magazines, vintage wall decor hung about for safety - it's a hot mess up in here! Thank you for showing me that you can be a successful wreck sometimes (I swear! I'm getting organized, though. Swear!)

Susan said...

I found your post via Craft fb post about spaces. I love yours. Mine is either exactly like that or really neat after I can't stand it anymore. Mostly, I drag my stuff all over the house http://www.flickr.com/photos/joybucket/3897212854/in/set-72157594327061772/

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to bookmark you now. I respect your honesty.